Volume - VI / CHAPTER - 1 / LESSON NO: 3 / PAGE 1 OF 2
EXCELLENCES OF "DUROOD SHAREEF"
Q 1: Is recitation of "Durood Shareef' proved by the Holy Qur-aan or by Hadees?
A. There are countless "Ahaadees" (Prophetic sayings) in respect of "Durood Shareef (invocation of Allah's blessings on the Holy Prophet) and the Holy Quran says: "Innal Laaha wa Malaa-ikatahoo Yu-Salloona 'Alan Nabeiy. Yaaa Aieyuhal Lazeena Aamanoo Salloo 'Alaiehi wa Sallimoo Tasleemaa". (Undoubtedly, Allah and His Angels shower blessings on this Communicator of unseen news (Prophet). O' you believers! invoke on him blessings profusely and salute him in the best way). This Quranic verse clearly and concisely states:
1. Durood Shareef is greater than all Divine commands and injunctions, for, no other command carries the wording of "Allah and His Angels do it
and you also do so" than Durood Shareef.
2. All Angels sans any exception send benedictions and blessings upon him.
3. This command addresses only to the believers.
4. This command of Allah Almighty is absolute one without any exemption or exclusion that it should be recited at such and such time and should not be recited at so and so time.
5. Whatever time Durood Shareef is recited it will be deemed to have been done in compliance to the said command.
6. Every time the believer recites Durood Shareef he will earn the reward of obligatory act (Fard,Farz), as this Divine command embraces all other commands. The more he recites it the more he gains the reward of Fard act. For instance, the recitation of only one Quranic verse is obligatory in one Rak'at of a prayer but if the whole Quran is recited therein it will still come under Fard and the believer will earn the reward accordingly. "Faqra-oo Maa Ta-yassara Minal Qur-aan" (recite from the Quran as much as is easy for you) is applicable to all this.
7. Complete Durood Shareef is only that one which contains "Salaat-o-Salaam" i.e. 'Durood and Salaam (blessing, benediction and peace, salutation) as the Quranic verse stresses on the recitation of both Durood and Salaam.
8. The Holy Quran has not fixed any "Seeghah" (a particular form of words) for Durood Shareef. So the recitation of every that "Seeghah" is lawful which combines Durood and Salaam.
9. The Quranic verse has not fixed,determined any form, gathering or sitting for the recitation of Durood Shareef. So it can be recited in sitting or standing posture, in privacy or in public or with public i.e. in chorus and in low voice or aloud which is a lawful, commendable and praiseworthy act in Shari'ah.
10. The recitation of "Salaat-o-Salaam" by the lovers and votaries of the Holy Prophet in "Meelaad" programms,gatherings standing in chorus is also in deference to this absolute command. To deny or oppose it is tantamount to creating new Shari'ah.
Q 2: What does "Durood Shareef mean?
A. "Durood Shareef is an especial honour which Allah Almighty has bestowed upon the Holy Prophet, Saiey-yidinaa Muhammad (may Allah's choicest blessings & peace be upon him). The religious scholars define "Al-Laa-humma Sallay 'Alaa Muhammad" as: O'Allah! grant dignity to (Saiey-yidinaa) Muhammad by making his religion overwhelming, his preaching,teachings dominant and his Shari'ah ever-thriving and ever-lasting in this world and by accepting his primacy over all (the past and future communities,nations), exalting him over Apostles, Messengers, Prophets, Angels and all creatures and by making him stand on "Maqaam-e-Mahmood" (a praise-worthy station reserved only for the Holy Prophet) in the next world.
Q 3: What philosophy does Durood Shareef contain?
A. Every Muslim knows that he has been provided with the treasure of "Eimaan" and "Irfaan" (Islamic faith and knowledge,wisdom). The mankind was groping about in the dark of ignorance and steeped in barbarism. The Holy Prophet enlightened him with knowledge and equipped with humanely qualities i.e. good conduct and beautiful manners. This favour and kindness of his demand of us to be beholden to him, to love him and keep praying to Allah Almighty for his exaltation. This objective can be easily achieved by reciting "Durood Shareef (invoking Allah's blessings on the Holy Prophet) which can be recited in all conditions and all time. The reciter of Durood Shareef actually implores Allah Almighty: ". O' Allah! I am unable to thank Your beloved Prophet for his great favours to me. You may send Your infinite blessings on him on my behalf in this world and the world hereafter and grant him Your "Taqarrub" (nearness,proximity) more than all other prominent ones.
The believer who recites Durood Shareef in fact humbles himself before Allah, the Beneficent, that he is unable to send "Salaat" (benedictions,blessings) on His Darling Elect (Saiey-yidinaa Muhammad, may Allah's choicest blessings & peace be upon him) befitting his dignity and that He (Allah) may send "Salaat" on the Holy Prophet on his behalf and also bless him by dint of His Beloved Prophet.
Q 4: On what occasion is recitation of Durood Shareef "Fard" and on which is "Waajib"?
A. Recitation of Durood Shareef once in whole life is obligatory (Fard) and on each mentioning and hearing of the blessed name of the Holy Prophet in a sitting, gathering is essential (Waajib). For example, if the Holy Prophet's name is mentioned or heard in a sitting,gathering a hundred times then Durood Shareef should be recited every time. However, it is permissible to recite Durood Shareef later if one mentioned or heard the blessed name of the Holy Prophet and could not recite Durood Shareef the very time.
Q 5: On which occasion or which time is recitation of Durood Shareef "Mustahab" ?
A. It is "Mustahab" (commendable act) to invoke Allah's blessings on the Holy Prophet (recitation of Durood Shareef) as profusely as one can. A companion of the Holy Prophet Hadrat Ubaiy bin Ka'ab (may Allah be pleased with him) said, as reported in "Tirmizi Shareef, that I told the Holy Prophet that I spend most of my time in Du'aa and sought his opinion as to how much time of my Du'aa should I devote to Durood Shareef. The Holy Prophet emphasised to devote as much time as I can. I suggested a quarter. He said: "whatever you wish but if you increase it will do you good. I suggested two-thirds. He said: "whatever you wish but if you further increase it will be better for you. Then I submitted: O' Messenger of Allah! I will devote all my Du'aa to the recitation of Durood Shareef. Thereupon the Holy Prophet remarked: if it is so then Allah Almighty will ease you of your difficulties and forgive you your sins. Undoubtedly, one can not gain so many blessings and benefits from Du'aa for oneself as he earns by reciting Durood Shareef. Invocation of Allah's blessings on the Holy Prophet is, no doubt, a Du'aa for the Holy Prophet but actually it is for his whole Ummah because every believer is spiritually attached to him. It is no denying the fact that one talks frequently about and speaks high of his ideal. The Holy Prophet is the ideal of ideal ones. So his "Zikr" (renown,praise) should surpass all others' Zikr i.e. Allah's benedictions and blessings should be invoked on him extensively. The religious scholars have described the recitation of Durood Shareef on the following occasions: On Jumu'ah day, at Jumu'ah night, in the morning, evening (night) when entering a mosque, stepping out of mosque, on visiting the sacred shrine of the Holy Prophet, on "Safaa" and "Marwah" hills (in holy Makkah), in sermon (for Imaam only), after responding to "Azaan", on meeting and separating from each other,one another, in the beginning and end of a sitting,gathering, during performance of ablution, when one forgets something, on delivering religious lecture (Wa'z), at the outset of learning,reading and teaching particularly "Ahaadees Shareef (Prophetic sayings) should be preceded and followed by Durood Shareef, on writing a question or "Fatvaa" (religious verdict), on writing a book, at the time of 'Nikaah" (marriage) and engagement and when starting or undertaking a big or important work.
Continued on next page